Sunday, August 4, 2013

Why this is needed.

I've lived with Crohn's disease as an official for-real diagnosis since February 2001. I was a junior in high school at the time, and had been slowly withering away since roughly 1997. Typical gay melodrama aside, I did come very close to death before the age of 18, and yes, my life was forever changed once I learned that Crohn's was something that was not only going to be chronic, but that it was going to complicate and mess with my burgeoning sexuality in very interesting ways.

(Spoiler alert: I am now well versed in gay male sex and sexuality, and Crohn's is still a major factor in those aspects of my life and identity.)

Talking openly about disease is difficult. Many people who are woefully well-meaning frankly suck at being supportive and affirming of what it actually means to have an autoimmune disease. Your body is screwed up. It's mean and bitchy to you. In the cases of the two prominent inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis), your body hates your gastrointestinal tract. In truth, it can hate your joints, your skin, your eyes, and various other things. But in laymen's terms, this means people living with Crohn's and UC have a very unique relationship with their bowels and the things that spew out of them (taco tuesday vis-à-vis Chow Down, anyone?).

For me, and for some other gay men I know with either Crohn's or UC, this means that sex - bottoming, rimming in particular - can often be a very, very painful thing. And, I'm not talking a sexual newbie gaybie who's never taken anything up anywhere. I'm talking about inflamed rectums, hemorrhoids, anal fissures (deep, painful tears), and anal fistulae.

I currently take 17 pills a day, some of which are for Crohn's, and others are for other health issues I collect (a thoracic aortic aneurysm being the main one . . . and yes, that's a time bomb right about my heart). If I had a nickel for every time I was assumed to be HIV +, and then mistreated and maligned as a result . . . I would have a lot of nickels. To be clear, this is not to isolate HIV + gay men, or anyone living as pos or with AIDS. However, the stigma associated with HIV, because it is mostly something "caught" is unbelievably frustrating when my health issues and my myriad pills have NOTHING do do with something I caught. In fact, I have a hyperactive immune system, which is the polar opposite of what the HIV virus does to its host.

Anyway, this is why I'm blogging. More to come . . .
This is the only picture of me from my 4 months at Nemours/duPont Hospital in Wilmington, DE.
This was post-op, and I was about ready to be released. I look pretty damn good considering I had nearly died a few weeks prior to this photo. Also, my eyebrows! Oy vey. April 6, 2001.

4 comments:

  1. I love it I'm glad you are blogging can't wait to read your next post awesome work

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease.Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness i am giving out my testimony to all viewers on line, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB  has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967,  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He send me his herbnal medicines through Courier servcie and i was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instruction given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kind of diseases like__Brain cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Ovarian cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Herpes,,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis.
    Intestinal cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,CVhrones Disease,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia.

    ReplyDelete